Thursday, October 30, 2008

Halloween


As a child, Halloween is exciting, memorable, and sometimes creepy.

The two occasions I remember as a child was that my Uncle Bob took us to a Halloween Carnival at our elementary school. I was kind of sad and told my Uncle Bob that I was not good at winning games. He took me into a room with a musical game that was called Musical Squares. You followed the squares and when the music stopped you stopped on a colored square. I won a chocolate cake with a witch and a cat on it. I was so happy and excited that I won a big prize.

The most memorable event was when my Mom let me have a Halloween party at my house. I never really felt that I fit in with people my own age but the party was the best. I dressed up as Raggedy Ann. Mom fixed the party like a small catered party. Lots of kids showed up!

As far as for my kids we have lots of memories too. One year we told Jacob to put his shoes on and we would be right out to take him trick or treating. When we got outside Jacob had gone without us. He had grabbed a black oil pan from the garage and ventured out in a neighborhood with 200 houses in it. I was frantic because Jacob was 6 years old. His costume was a Cowboy. It took two hours to find him. Then as a punishment we dumped his candy in the trash!

One year in Etowah, NC we had a dentist that bought candy for $2.00 per LB. I sold most of their candy to the dentist. They were so mad!

One year, Jacob carried on and on about how he was not scarred. Stuart started telling Jacob the story about "Bob nobody". On Halloween, Stuart took a black balloon and a wig and made a Bob with no body. He hung it in Jacob's window and turned a flashlight on underneath it. Well, as the story goes Jacob had a heart attack and was screaming that there was a head in his window. I guess that fixed him about not being afraid.

One year Jacob and a friend dressed up as a farmer. Jacob was leaving our drive way and said " if we only had a hoe at our side it would be perfect. Well, the men started laughing and being slow like I am I did not get why they were laughing and neither did Jacob thank goodness." Hoe sounded like the slang word for whore and that's why they were laughing.

This year John will be a Power Ranger and Ashley a Snow Princesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment