Thursday, September 11, 2008

Nursing School

Yesterday, I worked on a medical surgical floor called "short stay". It was a hard day for me mentally and I started questioning my abilities as a nursing student. I only have about 7 months to go in my program. I felt my life flashing in front of me saying will I love enough, enjoy enough, help enough, and live enough before I become seriously ill and die? I watched cancer patients, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspirations, heart caths, and numerous other illnesses. I watched lonely people with no relatives, people crying, and seeing pain on patient faces. As a nurse you are there to be the rock-the solid foundation and grounding force to help patients recover. Your are there to support, understanding, show compassion, and participate in your patients well being. I personally think nursing is the Strong link to medical care where there are other areas that need work like insurance companies. But way deep down inside of me nursing shows how fast I am aging and I do not like that part. Maybe one day the good feelings of nursing will overcome the bad!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for reminding me not to take my wonderful life for granted! Hard to read but something everyone could benefit from reading-Kelly

    ReplyDelete